Thursday, November 13, 2008

Why this path?

It's always curious to me why people do what they do. From the incredibly successful entrepeneur to the guy who, at 40, is still working at the local gas station, what is their motivation - or lack of - tied to?

For many it's simply blindly following what's expected. I met a young girl yesterday who is studying insurance. She is barely 18. Her mom is in the insurance business. She is simply doing something she is familiar with. She doesn't really know her strength or passion. I worked with a girl who was in university and hating every moment of it. I gave her a book on discovering your passion and she realized she was in completely the wrong field simply because it was where her father expected her to be.

For others it's a lack of confidence. I admit that for years I worked in food service and retail jobs because I couldn't see myself doing anything else. I looked at others who had good government jobs, or corporate jobs or were entrepeneurial and couldn't understand how they got there. They were no smarter or had no more education than I and yet they were making double and triple what I was. I had ideas, I had dreams, I didn't have the confidence in myself and told myself I just didn't know how. Now there's an easy way to let yourself off the hook!

Then there are those that simply fall into something and do it because it's what they've always done or because it's easier than moving on. I can't possibly count or list all the people I know who hate their job. It's just too much bother to do something else. "I have a pension." "I have good benefits." "I have seniority." "It's not THAT bad." They are trapped.

From where I am now, it's hard to believe I was ever there, but I was. Safe and easy was appealing because it was safe and easy. Then something changed. I changed.

It's been a journey of a lifetime going from where I was to where I am. It's been transformative, so much so that those who "knew me when" can see that I am not who I was.

So what about this journey has inspired me to be an advocate for Sensuality, Femininity and the Power of being a Woman - of being true to yourself?

I come from a broken home, as many do. I am the oldest of, at that time, 2 girls. I took it upon myself to be "the man" of the family. I was the strong one, my sister was the pretty one. The message I heard was that the two didn't go together. In order to make my mom proud, I felt I had to live up to my title.

That created in me a tendancy to downplay my girl-ness. I preferred boys games. If I was made to play a girly game like house, I had to be the dad. I had moments of being a bully because that made me feel strong and seen and important. I refused to cry in front of others no matter what. I wouldn't wear pink, ruffles, flowers. I had to wear dresses from time to time, but I made sure they were as simple as possible.

I didn't think I could compete with my sister so why bother trying. She was the pretty one. She was the one who modeled. She was the one everyone oo'd and ahh'd over. I was the strong, silent bystander.

When I started to discover my Sensuality and Femininity, things began to change. My life now is light, before it was dark. I have more fun. I'm not afraid of being seen. I know that I'm gorgeous as I am, without comparison to others. I love pink! Shoes and I are best friends.

I am still strong, but now my strength comes from the power of who I am and not a manufactured strength that came from struggle. My strength comes from being vulnerable, from being real, from an open, honest heart.

These experiences have created my passion. We teach what we have learned and what we are learning. I have discovered a great power - the power of SELF, the power of the FEMININE, the power of SENSUALITY! I can't stop myself from sharing it. I want everyone to have it!

I want everyone to know what can happen when they are willing to BE BEAUTIFUL, BE YOU! Please join me in the journey. www.beingsensual.com

No comments: