Thursday, November 6, 2008

Growing or Dieing

I am working on a book. It is said that more than half of us say they want to write a book or have a partially finished book somewhere on our shelves. I have a few myself. The big novel I was going to write about abortion when I was a fanatical youth. A few different short stories and plays that didn't get beyond the first few pages.

So what is going to make this one different?

If you read my last entry, you know that I get distracted by new ideas, by something that looks more fun or interesting than what I'm working on now. I identify with ravens. What's the next new shiny thing?

When I get into the meat of things and it starts to get hard, it's easy to get discouraged, to look around for the shiny. Plus there is always someone who knows you well - usually family - who will remind you of all the times you failed, so why should this time be any different. And, of course, there's the friendly little voice which will say, "ya, ya, sure, we'll see!" and roll it's eyes at you.

Again, what is going to make this one different?

It's a beautiful thing about people - we grow! There's an old adage, if you're not growing, you're dieing. If we stay the same we stagnate and whither. I love the ads for the Nintendo DS brain game. It shows someone playing the game and someone else who's head is very tiny and the end line states, "Your brain shrinks with age." In essence, if you don't use it, you lose it. It's the same with everything, if you're just coasting, you will eventually be/have less.

My growth has happened in many arenas over the years. With workshops I have taken, surrounding myself with growth hungry people, having a coach and so much more, I have been making shifts and becoming not only more of my full self, but also more of things I never thought I'd be. I once said I couldn't sell heaters to Eskimos, now my life revolves around sales. I used to (and still do sometimes) say that I'm no good with numbers, but I understand more than many about investing and money. My coach told me recently that I've shifted from being an artist to a business person (with an artistic sensibility). What he meant by that is that I actually think about how I can make my ideas into something viable rather than just a crazy scheme. Again, refer to my last post!

Where does this leave me with my book?

I have discovered my true passion - sensuality and helping women be fully expressive and understanding of their beauty. I have made commitments to myself and, even more helpful, others to work on my book a certain amount of time each week. Writing this is part of that process. A weekly entry keeps me focused on writing SOMETHING every week.

What will I do when it gets hard. Probably make excuses and whine. But only briefly. I will keep going and do what needs to be done. I want you all to share in this book. I want to share my insights with you in a concrete manner. I want to do my small part in changing your life, in seeing you grow.

Currently, the working title for the book is SENSE AND SENSUALITY - The truth about beauty. What do you think? Would you buy this book? Send me an email at christie@beingsensual.com and let me know!

BE BEAUTIFUL. BE YOU!

No comments: